Monte sant Angelo San Giovanni Rotondo in Peschici sul Gargano in Puglia





Half Board
Full Board





Studio 2/4 Pl.
2-Rooms 3/5 Pl.
3-Rooms 4/6 Pl.



Meteo Peschici


EXCURSIONS DO NOT MISS - Monte sant Angelo San Giovanni Rotondo

This trip can be 'easily do in a day, starting early in the morning, the way forward and the road (road 89 direz. Vieste) to the "forest Umbra (20 km) at the junction of pivot at the center of the forest continues with the signs to Monte Sant 'Angelo, 30 km., situated at an altitude about 800 meters. by l.m.

E 'center Garganico more fraught with history and tradition and owes its development to the late fifth century when, according to tradition, the Archangel Michael appeared in a cave.

The Lombards, who at that time ruled in southern Italy, made it their national shrine.
Soon became famous throughout Christendom and fixed destination not only for pilgrims from all over Europe, but also for the Crusaders off to Jerusalem to popes and sovereigns. You log on to the Shrine, descending a long, wide staircase.

The front doors are of bronze and were cast in Constantinople in 1076, on behalf of the noble Pantaleone di Amalfi. The altars and images that adorn, are carved into the very bedrock of the cave. On the central, however, stands the magnificent white marble statue of Andrea Sansovino, the presbytery, the bishop's seat carved in stone of the twelfth century.

After a morning devoted to the land of Archangel you can 'run to the nearby town of "Padre Pio" .- San Giovanni Rotondo surrounded the National Park of Gargano and resting on the heights of the hills near the Bald Mountain, the city St. John is set in the middle of a beautiful natural setting. Going back in time to discover the origins of this town, dating back to Mille.

It was founded on the ruins of an existing village of the fourth century A. C., of this village are still visible signs, such as tombs and an ancient circular baptistry was for the worship of Janus, later dedicated to Saint John.

The city lives ups and downs, until in 1916 there came the then very young Padre Pio. Since then, the city's name is inextricably linked with that of the Friar of Pietrelcina, who with his prayer has renewed the message of faith, diffused throughout the Catholic world.

He dedicated his life to serving the Church, promoting the birth of the Prayer Groups, and the establishment of charitable works, the first of the Hospital "Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza," Padre Pio called by the same Temple of Prayer and Science . Opened May 5, 1956, the hospital and for a decade, recognized Institute of Hospital and Care science and has over a thousand beds. The historic center of St. John, is a separate part of the city for those accustomed to frequent for holy places connected with the cult of Padre Pio.